Abs are made in the Kitchen!

YoFitUSA Diet

It’s not just a saying that “abs are made in the kitchen,” it’s TRUE! Did you know that our physiques are primarily based on our diet? The muscles that you can see are 100% the muscles that you have built. Many people fail to learn about nutrition in the beginning of their fitness journey. You can be the strongest person at the gym, but maybe you still don’t understand why your “gains” aren’t showing up? It is most likely due to your diet. While I am NOT qualified to give nutrition advice or guidance, it is basic math. Changes in weight and physiques will always depend on whether you are in a calorie deficit, a calorie surplus or a consistent caloric intake. However, owner Staci Burland holds her National Academy of Sports Medicine Nutrition Certification and is qualified and ready to help you build the perfect meal plan for your specific goals!

I also want to take a moment to discuss the word “diet” as it often has a negative correlation in the mind. By its first definition, diet refers to “the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.” Whether you deem it to be healthy or not, diet by definition means ‘what you habitually eat’. Like many things in life, what is considered to be healthy can be subjective to each specific person. You will find in this blog post that there is no perfect diet, so keep an account for your opinions. What doesn’t work for you, may work for your neighbor. Who are we to say that one way of doing things is better than the other. People can achieve their ideal results in many different ways.

“Researchers found that weight loss differences between individual diets were small. Participants were able to change their body composition (or lose weight) with both low-carb and low-fat diets.” “Are Abs Really Made in the Kitchen?” InBody USA, 22 Oct. 2018. This article continues to explain that one specific diet is not going to get the same results for all of its participants. However, a recurring similarity in all the diets are sufficient amounts of protein. 

By purely working out, you will build your strength and increase your overall muscle mass. But, if you really want to see your hard work, sweat and occasional tears, pay off, you have to start considering the 80/20 rule*. 80% of the time maintain a wholefood-healthy diet, and for the other 20% of the time, enjoy yourself! Whether your journey is more fitness based versus wellness based, you must be able to enjoy the process. That is what we preach here at YoFiT, “enjoy the journey!”. The fitness and health industry often hides or shames the moments in life where you ditch your lean chicken breast and broccoli to enjoy some sweet cake at your 5-year old nieces princess party, your cousin’s wedding or maybe you just had a stressful week and deserve to indulge. That is life and it is okay to treat yourself!

We work extremely hard for our goals and although it is not always easy, we strive to make lifestyle changes, rather than quick fixes, when it comes to our nutrition. This is why YoFiT is against short term or fad diets. We want you to reach your goals and be able to sustain them! Lifestyle changes prevent our body from rebounding back to where we started.

If you are ready to take the next step with YoFiT, give us a call or send us an email! We will get you connected with the trainer best fit for you and your goals. We can also set up an appointment with Staci to help you build the perfect meal plan for you!

With love and light,


*Sarah Bradley is a freelancer writer from Connecticut. “The 80/20 Rule Is Seriously The Best Weight-Loss Plan That Exists.” Women’s Health, 8 Feb. 2020